ID Please

Essex Junction, VT(Zone 4a)

A friend posted this to his facebook page and said it was a "cat man do iris". I can't find that, and I've tried searching using the iris search here at Dave's; no luck.

Any ideas what this is (can you at least confirm/deny it is an iris)? He lives in Fort Lauderdale area of South Florida, so I'm assuming zone 10b or so.

Thumbnail by evie_beevie
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Walking or Apostle Iris....neomarica gracilis

Essex Junction, VT(Zone 4a)

Thank you! It is such a beautiful plant - I'm glad to know its name!

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Welcome....I have buds on mine...hoping to see them open soon

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

evie, those are fun. They put out babies like spider plants and when the stems of the babies get to the ground they root and start another plant. That's how they "walk".

Lebanon, OR

OK, question as I do not know much about this little gem, I have one in a hanging basket about 2 years and never bloomed any and all suggestions greatly appreciated it. Can not find alot about care on it on the web.

D

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

Dee,
I think they like to be crowded.

Lebanon, OR

Then I have a long way as I thought it might want more room! LOL

Give me the beardless and the bearded that i know something about but it looks so pretty in pictures.

Thanks

D

Fresno, CA(Zone 10b)

I just found a description that claims the myth is that it won't bloom until it has 12 leaves, and that's why it's called the Apostle plant...the bloom represents Jesus...thought that was kind of sweet....they said it's fragrant too...saved the page and am going to order one...I think it's so lovely I have to have one....lol...

Chapin, SC(Zone 7b)

What a cool story. I always wondered why it was called that.

Newark, OH(Zone 5a)

Corgirl................................I would love to have one also. Where did you find them to order? I'd appreciate the name of the place and the web site if you have it.

Thanks,
Cathy

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I have a bunch of them but they're fixing to bloom so I hate to mess with them until they're finished.I'll check to see if I have them in a smaller pot. I know I have the yellow one in small pots.

P

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.