Clay pots- where is a good place to find a good variety ?

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I live in Atlanta/ decatur area. Where is a good place to find a large variety of good clay pots? I have already been to local Pikes, Home depot , Lowes, and a few other nurseries.

Thanks

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

You might try Old Time Pottery. They have a store in Duluth and one in Marietta. I always find the neatest pots there for reasonable prices.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks, I sure will visit them soon.

Ace Hardware, try 'em. Sometimes they have different items and can have a huge variety of sizes.

Decatur, GA

I found small clay pots in different sizes and shapes at Michael's, the hobby store.

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

Do you have a Tuesday Morning nearby? They had amazing prices on glazed pots a few weeks ago. I picked up several! Samantha

Dahlonega, GA

If you feel like a drive up to Maysville, they make them up there at several places . Retail too . digger

This message was edited Jun 14, 2009 7:56 AM

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Went to Ace hardware today, picked up a few at a great price. Still need more. Thanks for information.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Home Depot, Pikes, Garden Ridge, and if you want to drive to the Commerce area check out "The Pottery" which is the largest place for pottery and so much more (plants, dishes, glassware, statuary (some up to $$$), etc).

http://web.georgia.org/net/org/info.aspx?s=56510.0.26.3011

Dahlonega, GA

I love that place . A little pricy sometimes , but lots of ideas for future use , and the walk around the roads , thru the plants was wonderful on a cool day . digger

Lula, GA(Zone 7b)

hcmcdole - sorry to tell you, but the Pottery in Commerce (Outlet Mall area) went out of business a year ago or more. Closed up that entire HUGE place. There is a smaller one that digger mentioned nearby in Maysville. I believe it's owned by the same guy (Craven). I haven't been yet and I know it has clay pots. I don't think it has all the other things the P carried though, like dishes and silk flowers. But I don't KNOW that.

That's a shame. It's been three or four years since I've been up that way but I used to go each year. A sign of the times I guess - Six Flags filed for bankruptcy this week. Who is next?

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Is 'old time pottery' same as 'The pottery'?

No they aren't the same. The Pottery was warehouse after warehouse after warehouse (maybe 12 or so?) of pots from around the world plus a huge greenhouse plus lots of trees, shrubs, perennials, etc for sale. One warehouse was stocked with dishes and glassware. Another warehouse was a Xmas shop year round. If you visited them around Xmas then there were several warehouses dedicated to Xmas (I only went one time during this season and it was tiring).

Then they had an outdoor area full of pots as well. They had acres to stroll through with a running stream, mature bamboo, cactus garden, trees, shrubs, etc. that would take a couple of hours if you wanted to see it all.

Some pots were so large that you needed a forklift and a flatbed truck to haul them home (estate pots?). Iron statutes of bald eagles that might be 8 to 10 foot across wingtip to wingtip (I saw one being loaded on a flatbed semi truck one time). Bigger than life statues (concrete?) of the 4 seasons that were $2500 a piece and probably weighed several hundred pounds.

The biggest problem I saw was it was too far from the Atlanta area (75 miles from Marietta) to visit often. Commerce also has lots of outlet shops so I could be dropped off at The Pottery while my wife went to other shops.

Old Time Pottery is a fraction of what The Pottery was but it is very convenient to visit any time of the year due to its location(s) around town. We go to the one in Douglasville or on the Canton highway but I quit buying pots a couple of years ago (way too many now).

Decatur, GA

I use to go to The Pottery when I lived in Demorest(not too far). I LOVED it. But when I moved to Atlanta it was too long a trip to go often. Too bad. There is nothing like it.
Helen

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Here's another one for you and anyone else interested:
Jaemor Farm Market
5340 Cornelia Hwy (Hwy 365)
Alto, Ga 30510
770869-3999
www.jamsjellies.com

They sell produce, jams, handcrafted furniture, plants, pottery and more.

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

what r you going to do with all those clay pots. I see that you live in Atlanta and I saw a garden in Chamblee recently with ALOT of clay pots. Could that be you?

Can you ever have too many pots?

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Love it!

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

LiliMerci
I dont live in chamblee but not too far from there. My backyard is a steep hill and still not quiet developed, so have tons of plants in pots.

the house I saw used the clay pots for their border. Very cool.

Decatur, GA

hcmcdole
The picture of the pot elephant is wonderful! Where is it? It looks rather exotic and tropical. Were you on vacation maybe.

Helen

Hi Helen,

That was at Nong Nooch Gardens in Pattaya, Thailand (July 2006). Here is my daughter and son in law in another structure made of clay pots.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole

check out the coconut tree in the background. It's amazing the things that are made by hand in asia - and the plants too. :)

Decatur, GA

hcmcdole.... What fun.
Nice family. :-)

Helen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.