Magnolia

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

I have a Japanese northern magnolia (similar to the star magnolias). It's dropping hundreds of seed pods all over the place,
are they likely to germinate?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Not if they are dropping now. Probably the flowers were not pollinated successfully. Viable seeds will be in any pods that stay on the tree until they are mature in October-November.

Resin

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

Resin. Thanks you have confirmed what I was thinking, now I can compost them! But why would full sized pods develop
if a flower had not been pollinated? The pods do contain seed! Here in Japan we have 4/5 times the insect species compared to the UK, and the climate is rather different, could this make a difference? Also this is a native Japanese species.

Yes, could well be that they are insect-infested and have been aborted early by the tree. Try cutting one open and see if it contains any insect larvae (or holes where insect larvae were but have now left). If yes, it might be worth sweeping up all the infested pods and removing them so the next generation of insects doesn't develop to attack next year's fruit.

Can you attach a photo of some? When fully mature, each section of a healthy fruit will split open to reveal a bright red seed.

Resin

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

I'll take a closer look and grab my nikon, and see if I can figure how to upload a snap! Thanks for your input mate!

pajonica

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

After a bit of fun I managed to upload the photo. The coin is similar in size to a British 5p.
However, I have since discovered this early dropping of immature pods is quite normal for this tree and has nothing to do with insects.
Thanks again for your help, I've learned much about my magnolia and how to upload a photo! How bad is that?

Thumbnail by Jiny

Good for you!! ;-)

Yep, those are just unpollinated. Any with seeds in have a large swelling where each seed is.

This pic shows a fruit with one seed developing: http://oregonstate.edu/dept/ldplants/mako7.htm
This pic shows some fruit with one to four or five seeds developing: http://www.henriettesherbal.com/pictures/p08/pages/magnolia-kobus-6.htm - count the bumps to determine the number of seeds.

Resin

Tokyo, Japan(Zone 10a)

It dropped another ton yesterday so I don't think I'll have too many red ones! Tree looks healthy though.
Thanks Resin, your a star!

pajonica

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.