Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS IN SUMMER ..2014, 1 by 77sunset

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 77sunset

In reply to: BROMELIADS IN SUMMER ..2014

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of BROMELIADS IN SUMMER ..2014
77sunset wrote:
Hello everyone.
Been busy here with my "large" garden...lol

I have been repotting a few brugmansias that had outgrown their pots.
Lucky the broms dont need repotting, but I will have a couple of pups to take off after the new year.
Everything seesm to like it here but the sun has been quite hot and a couple of leaves here & there a re a bit crispy.
I have tried to keep the plants out of any direct sun in the hottest part of the day, but even the morning sun can burn.
The broms are not affected so far. It seems more the softer leaf plants like the azaleas.
They will all survive.
My mini dahlias like the sun and are growing fast.

Teresa, I have been in a couple of serious quakes when living in West Australia.
It was like an invisible giant steam train coming at you, with all the noise.
Luckily no people damage but lots of trees and bricks damaged and a small town nearby called Cadoux,was leveled.
Its scary when you cant see what is affecting you, unlike floods, fire etc which can be seen, so you have a chance to escape.
Give Miss Mischief a pat for me.

Nev, glad to hear that your hand is slowly coming good. Take things slowly though. You dont want to do any further damage. The broms will all wait patiently for you to get to them.
Beautiful pics of those vrieseas.
I, too , had to laugh at the your comments on the house with so many tiolets.
My goodness, I would have commented too.
Do they use a different one each day, I wonder....lol
Nev,some of your thunder must have found its way down here. Yesterday, I was busily playing with potting mix and suddenly there was very loud thunderclap. I jumped and looked around as the sky was blue.
A few minutes later a large cloud came sneaking in over the top of the units. I hadnt been able to see it coming so got a fright when the thunder hit.
Just a few large drops of rain and it was gone again.
The pic I have added below is a closeup of my neo Aussie Dream. You asked for a closer pic in hope of an ID.
Its not a large brom, only about 8" across.

Brian,you will enjoy that butterfly bush. They do look pretty with the flowers waving around on the long stems. Once finished, you can cut it to the ground and it will regrow. they gradually form a small clump, but nothing invasive. You can also divide the plant when it gets bigger.
I love the one with the pink foliage and it does look so pretty among the green.

Shirley, as always your brom " resort" has some of the loveliest broms.
You must attract the " upper crust" of the brom world...lol

I hope you all enjoy a safe and happy Christmas and that the New Year brings lots of lovely surprises.

Hello to anyone I missed.
I am off outside to enjoy the sunshine before it gets too hot.

take care.
Jean.