Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: clarification needed on boxwood microphylla var. japonica, 1 by Weerobin

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Weerobin

In reply to: clarification needed on boxwood microphylla var. japonica

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of clarification needed on boxwood microphylla var. japonica
Weerobin wrote:
I've got several variegated boxwoods which have retained basically the same variegation for 15yrs, so I haven't seen any indication of variegation disappearing w/ maturity. I've had several instances of small branch reversions, which I've clipped out. But all my boxwoods took a beating last winter - lost 50-75% of each plant. I haven't pulled them out yet - we'll see if they can recover sufficiently in the next year or two - currently pitiful looking eyesores. Here's mine from this past summer. Poor guy!

Edited to mention that mine pictured below is a buxus sempervirens; I didn't realize you were referring to microphylla, which I think is hardier than sempervirens. I just planted a fairly tiny buxus microphylla 'Golden Dream', which sailed thru the same winter without much injury, but I had put a burlap coat on him since it was his first winter.

This message was edited Dec 14, 2014 12:21 PM