Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS IN SUMMER ..2014, 1 by ctmorris

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ctmorris

In reply to: BROMELIADS IN SUMMER ..2014

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of BROMELIADS IN SUMMER ..2014
ctmorris wrote:
Hi everyone. Boy, the weather sure has been strange. Thunder storms and a bit of rain, then clear skies and sunshine then back to overcast again. I was having a plant sale yesterday and I do think that we have a couple more bromaholics in the making here. Your post for the learners, [what am I talking about, we're all still learning I think] Nev is going to be good for me to pass on to the new people here. I know that i do things differently over here than some of you over there because of our heat, but I think the basics are similar. Anyway all I can tell people is what i do and hope that it works for them. While I was in the SH with a customer yesterday the thunder storm was still going on. Next thing there was the loudest clap of thunder and I reckon i nearly went through the SH roof. Boy did it rattle me. We've had the celebrations for the 50th anniversary of the Donald Campbell try out on our Lake Bonney. I was very young then. lol They've had a bright yellow helicopter flying around following the boats that have been racing on the lake today. The actual ceremony was yesterday and then a dinner dance last night and the races and stalls going on today. A very busy weekend for the shops with all the visitors. Great for the town. Thanks Jean for starting a new thread. I have another person coming in the morning to have a look at the plants so hopefully I can sell a few more. I have been corresponding on a local site that has been created for people to sell all sorts of things and a garden site for people to sell plants and statues and unwanted garden things and the garage sale site. I haven't bothered to put an ad in the local paper the last couple of times and I think that word of mouth is working really well. I'm trying to find a source of ferns around here as lots of people ask me for them. The birdsnest ferns are about 4" high in a 3" pot and cost $ 12.95 each. They don't spore very readily here so I will have to get the young plants and grow them on til they're big enough to sell. I think that fern and broms go well together so it might turn out to be a bit of a moneyspinner for me. Every little bit helps. Hope the damaged ones are on the mend, Nev and Dianne. Have a great evening everyone. Colleen