Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Dahlias: Dahlias - Summer's End/Storage 2014 Part 2, 1 by pirl

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright pirl

In reply to: Dahlias - Summer's End/Storage 2014 Part 2

Forum: Dahlias

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Dahlias - Summer's End/Storage 2014 Part 2
pirl wrote:
Mary - I would use the bags so I wouldn't be concerned about water getting into the stem and working its way down to the tubers. Normally it's hideous when it's digging time but last year was the exception - a glorious day. We do have to win about once every ten years.

Jeff - if you dig one hole per each bag of bulbs it will go fast. I planted 500 allium that only arrived in late November one year. I was cool digging in December and the next day began my Christmas shopping.

Nanny - I agree with you about selecting what appeals to you and ignoring any other opinion. The only exception I can think of is when it comes to choosing a plant by a photo. Too many are simply stock photos so check sites and ask if something is appealing but doesn't have rave reviews online. The Dahlia Queen from earlier DG days was Poochella. You can trust anything she reported in Plant Files.

Here are two prime examples:

Giraffe is a gorgeous orange, about 3' tall, but not at all like the stock photo (#1).

#2 shows the stock photo of Fidalgo as opposed to the reality.