Rural Gardening: The retired life:, 1 by Haystack

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Haystack

Subject: The retired life:

Forum: Rural Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of The retired life:
Haystack wrote:
I thought it might be fun to just know a little more about the typical day of our friends here at Daves Garden. We visit over common interests such as our lovely feathered friends but for some our lives really consist of so much more and I for one would love to know more about you if you'd care to share. Since I can't raise birds anymore my day goes a little like this:

I generally get up and have coffee with my wife, along with a very small breakfast. After that I go to my workout room and lift weights, and do situp's along with using the exercise machines. Most often it's around ten oclock after I shower and get ready for my day.

Not always but most often I go for my bicycle ride, it's usually a ten mile ride but sometimes I get crazy and like to ride all day. Last Sept I took my bike and went to Centennial Trail which is a thirty mile bike trail, I love it because it goes through the woods and thru three different towns. The trail is blacktopped and there are places to ride horses right along with the bikes. I love the kids so I usually stop them and visit which makes the ride so much fun. That Sept day I rode the trail round trip which my odometer said was fifty eight miles. Honestly I loved the ride but when I finished I had to use my motorhome to help me off of the bike. Then it took me five minutes before my legs could respond. Seriously...lol. A lady who worked at the trailhead store was watching me asked me if I had ridden the whole trail? I told her yes and she responded by saying "I thought so because I could tell you could hardly walk" I laughed an assured her that I was fine. I loaded my bicycle on the bike rack and returned home. It took me three full days to recover fully. But I can tell you I really loved that ride and now I live only one mile from that trail and ride it almost daily...no not the entire trail but at least ten to twenty miles a day weather providing. My darling wife doesn't like to ride bikes so I usually go alone or with my grandchildren.

After my workout and daily ride, I usually go around and visit a few of the elderly guy's n gal's that are shut in and make sure they have the things they need for the day...I love these old folks...they are so grateful for the visits, and it affords me the opportunity to make their day a little brighter...I sure know it helps my day. by this time it's usually around two oclock and I love to putter around in my wood shop and build things for a neighbor, or for the wife or one of the grandchildren. Maybe once a week the wife and I will deviate by taking a short four hour road trip to one of the surrounding towns and visit the antique stores. We never seem to accomplish a lot be bless the Lord...we manage to really enjoy our retirement together. Here are a few pic's from my Centennial Trail ride of Last Sept. Please tell me about your day, I for one would love to get to know you better...and I'm sure all the chickenheads would say AMEN to that...Haystack