Greenhouse: Time To Haul The Plants, 5 by MaypopLaurel

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright MaypopLaurel

In reply to: Time To Haul The Plants

Forum: Greenhouse

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Time To Haul The Plants
MaypopLaurel wrote:
Gita, I don't think you messed up. Anna's home with solarium photos are lovely. In regards to our home, we've done much of the finish work ourselves including sheet rock, tile work, plumbing and electrical and building the front entry. We've done almost all the work at Maypop ourselves (photos below). I draw all the plans including the systems. I'm not an architect just lots of hands on experience in that direction.

Anna, funny you use the term "dumpy" in reference to your home. We call Maypop our "dump in the country". It's the house that dumpster diving built and flea markets decorated. We have done all the work there except the roof, heating and air and the rebuild of the fireplace after a tree went through it. It's a recycled house.

Butch, I had hoped to meet sooner at one of the RU's we've hosted at Maypop. Maypop was formerly an abandoned property with water pouring through the roof. It had no kitchen, no heat and lots of wildlife both dead and alive. We spent more than weekends and vacations there since I was able to telecommute. I lived there with the kids in summer and SO went back and forth. I'm an avid veggie gardener and had a great city yarden when we lived in Decatur. When we moved to Sandy Springs, the topography of the lot and the hardwoods only allowed for shade gardening. I grew up on Miami and North Miami Beach but spent summers in camp near Maypop. The grass seemed greener on the other side and hardwoods and violets were more beautiful than palm trees and bromeliads. I was fifteen when I saw snow for the first time. It seemed much more magical than sand. Meanwhile, now that I know your the begonia guy I'll be picking your brain.
Laurel