Photo by Melody

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Need help...I would like to grow various oak/maple seedlings, 5 by MaypopLaurel

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright MaypopLaurel

In reply to: Need help...I would like to grow various oak/maple seedlings

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Need help...I would like to grow various oak/maple seedlings
MaypopLaurel wrote:
I can attest that the seeds originate from a Southern source as I am the source in the southerly direction. I had previously volunteered seed from Maypop. We are on two acres of hardwood in the city of Atlanta but those would be harder to collect because the lawn service folks blow most of them off the drive and much of the rest gets mulched in the lawn. My concern is that Maypop's zone is two up and the altitude much different than southern MS. But hey...a box of acorns for the price of postage and the receiver does not even have to collect them. It's the beauty of Dave's Garden and I get to pay it forward.

Sally's advice is excellent. I'd make it THE plan. Use whatever soil is native to the site and amend with locally purchased garden topsoil.

I have a limited supply of native persimmon seed (Diospyros virginiana). They grow in your area and mine and are easy to cultivate with in situ stratification. You could put the seed out at the same time as the acorns.