Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014, 1 by 77sunset

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 77sunset

In reply to: Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014
77sunset wrote:
Hello everyone.
Its a beautiful morning here. Looks like a touch of heavy dew or light frost on the grass.
Yesterday started out quite cool but ended up very warm. Makes it hard when one dresses in the morning and is not home all day to change as the weather does...lol
I have taken a couple of pics of my little garden areas but it is still early days for things to look really great.
The front area had a couple of broms out in the open for a bit of color until the roses etc grow but it was much too warm for them as they were starting to burn. They are now back at the back of the unit to recover.
I may swap them over with a few from the house on the weekend. No more going right out in the open.
I have been watching the sun as it moves and where I first thought it would be okay, I see that the sun is on that part until after lunch , so too much sun. All the rest seem to be doing well , even those at the back along the wall are not burning. They get sun from mid afternoon until early evening. Morning sun must be more damaging.
Its great to find all this out before the real heat of long summer days finally arrives.
Now being down in a valley, I also have to watch out for frost which was never much of a bother at the old place.

I now have a few dianthus in place of the broms out front.
Next job is to remove a line of lawn to make room for my roses along with some small lavenders.

Brian, it seems you are fast becoming another mad brom addict...lol
Lovely tills. Your bill starting to flower is very much like one I left behind at the old place. Love the spotty ones.

Hello Shirley, thats a savage looking brom there. Hope all is well for you up there.

Nev, the flower spike on my vr. Angela is growing very quickly now. I am so pleased with it as this plant is a pup from my original buy. Angela does seem to pup well as the mum has more pups .
I will have to check on all the broms back at the house to see if any are starting to think about flowering.
I have neo Catlans Leopard and may bring it over here to see if it will color more than it has.

Teresa, maybe you should have called Sugar Weasel from the start. She has certainly been very naughty at times, but so cute with it.
I remember when she was finding her blankets very tasty.
Bad luck about the points in the competition.
Its a learning curve for the owners as well as the dogs.

Dianne, you will find that the info you get from here and any other sites is so handy. I have jotted down bits and pieces over the years I have been on here.
Better move as I am expecting a visitor later and also the Foxtel tech to finally instal my dish. No more having to watch the drivel on the few free to air channels I had been getting.
I dont watch much at all during the day but do like to relax in front of the TV at night.

Take care and stay safe .
My pics are of the back and front areas here. I will have to get more individual pics later.
Jean.