Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014, 1 by works4me

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright works4me

In reply to: Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014
works4me wrote:
Hi all,

Nev, it appears neo Gigas has been renamed Great White and it does have carcharodon in its breeding. I love the really toothy ones even though they bite and I bear a few scars from them.

As for neo Out of Africa … I hadn’t checked the BCR and when you said both parents were Africa, I wondered where the variegation came from. When I did check I found it must obviously be misnamed, so it looks like another NOID. Any idea of its ID please.

And neo Mad Max is obviously quite unstable. I have purchased two pups from different sellers and both lost their variegation as they grew. At least buying a mature plant with reasonable variegation, I should get some nice pups … fingers crossed.

Trish, great to hear you managed to get so much done in the garden over the weekend. I used to have a few Desert Roses in different colours but I only have a couple left now. We saw some really fantastic ones, I think it was in Singapore, a couple of years ago, in smallish pots with very thick, tangled roots visible above the soil. I might be able to find a photo.

Found a couple of pics, it was in fact in Vietnam and it was more than four years ago but they really intrigued me, sort of bonsai but bigger.

A big welcome to Magpie63, hope you stay with us. I would say your photos are of a flowering vriesea but I have no idea of its name, Nev might be able to tell you more.

Anyway, that’s it for me, g’night
Shirley