Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014, 1 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads For Novices and Addicts - October 2014
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone – It’s a beautiful day here today and it’s that time of the month again (the second Sunday) when the I.L.R.M.S. is open and where we take our grandsons for steam train rides.
See: http://www.ilrms.com.au/

Teresa – It doesn’t matter where you read it, your brain hit the “save” button and you’ve been able to access a useful tip to use on your garden. I know it does look like weak tea but certainly not recommended for drinking.

The longer you leave the Dynamic Lifter in the bin to steep, the darker it becomes and that’s why it’s sometimes necessary to dilute it with water to that “weak tea” colour.

I’ve never thought about what you said with the placement of ‘Apricot Nectar’, and I can just imagine it between two nice dark burgundy coloured Neo’s; I’ll have to try it and take a pic to post.

Brian – I hope you had a nice day at the botanical gardens, as you say,” Probably an under used part of the city” and it seems to be the same here with the Wollongong Botanical Gardens as well; it’s a pity as there’s lots to see for anyone interested in gardening.

That’s a brilliant Ae. blanchetiana in your third picture and the Ae recurvata in Pic.4 looks very much like one I have called Ae. recurvata ‘Blushing Pineapple’.

The plant you bought is a nice Alcantarea and a good price as well. Yes the dates probably are the times it has been repotted although most growers usually write these details and any comments on the reverse of the label to save confusion with the name.

Shirley – Sorry to hear you’re still having problems with your back and I know just how time consuming all of the travelling to and from medical appointment can be.

Nice pictures once again; I’m afraid I’m not a fan of plants with big spiky leaves like Neo.‘Gigas’, I love the colour but not the prickles. I can’t find it as being registered so I don’t know the parentage but very possible that Neo carcharodon is involved somewhere.

Neo.’After Dark’ has beautiful glowing colour (and spiky leaves) and is from Sharon Petersen of Hawaii and Neo.’Lady Love’ which will colour up still more than it is at present, is from our own Australian champ., Grace Goode OAM.

As for your two new ones; Neo. ‘Out of Africa’ (a Margaret Patterson hybrid) is very appropriately named, as both parents were Neo. Africa.

Neo. ‘Mad Max’ is a Chester Skotak hybrid from unknown parents and previously given a name of Anna #1. It was registered by John Catlan as ‘Mad Max’ in 1998.

I’m not really into succulents, but I think yours really make a statement against the back drop of beige shade cloth.

That’s it for today; off to the trains now and just a few random shots from around the yard to finish with.

All the best, Nev.