Photo by Melody

Orchids: Phalaenopsis I bought for my mother's funeral is nearly dead, 1 by GrammyJo

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright GrammyJo

Subject: Phalaenopsis I bought for my mother's funeral is nearly dead

Forum: Orchids

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Phalaenopsis I bought for my mother's funeral is nearly dead
GrammyJo wrote:
Hello all,

My mother passed away 4 yrs ago and among the many flowers and arrangements I ordered for her visitation/funeral I bought a beautiful deep pink Phalaenopsis. I bought it from the florist shop that did all of mom's flowers. It was beautiful, sturdy, tall and had many flowers & buds. They all opened successfully and eventually the stem dried up and I cut it off. I didn't know what else to do with it since it did dry up. So for the last say 3 yrs+ I've simply had an orchid with nothing but leaves. Now the leaves have all turned brown, dried up and had to be removed. I'm down to one once green leaf that is turning brown as I type this. I haven't removed the plant from it's pot but have observed very good drainage. I've only soaked the pot once or twice and normally just put about 1/4 C water towards the center of the pot where I figure it needs the water. If's in an air-conditioned environment but always sits near a lamp with 2 60w bulbs that burn all afternoon until perhaps 3pm at night. It does get some draft but I just don't feel like that's the problem. I'll include a photo here but be advised that the one leaf left is much browner now. I just don't know if I can save it nor do I know how! It's the 1st orchid I've tried and wanted to keep it for years in memory of my precious Mother. If anyone can give me some advice that might turn around it's dire condition I would be VERY grateful!

PS... The color looks really vivid in these photos. They were more 'toned down' than they appear here. And again, I'm down to only one (quickly browning) leaf now.