Pacific Northwest Gardening: My garden under a big pine, 1 by Pistil

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Pistil

In reply to: My garden under a big pine

Forum: Pacific Northwest Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of My garden under a big pine
Pistil wrote:
Sequoia- I can't find a photo of the potentilla really blooming. Truth is it doesn't bloom much for me. I have always assumed that is because it is in a rather shady spot. The bloom is late spring, early summer. I got it from Bluestone, attracted by the advertised sun-or-shade, clay-or-sand, evergreen info. Here it is in July this year with just a few scattered buds left, not visible in thumbnail, but if you enlarge it they can be seen (right click to do this). Another nice thing is unlike some of my groundcovers, what flowers there are shrivel up and fall off quickly, without leaving a plant that must be sheared to look ok. I have never done that even once. The flowers are very very small, but so BRIGHT brassy yellow they are quite noticeable, and you need to be careful they do not overwhelm nearby colors. the photo at bluestone made them look bigger than they are. You can occasionally step on it without damage. I do not know how it would do in PA, but here it is quite nice. The area in the photo was 2 plants from tiny pots, about 4-5 years ago. It seeds a bit into cracks in the brick nearby.