Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Pistil

Subject: My garden under a big pine

Forum: Pacific Northwest Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of My garden under a big pine
Pistil wrote:
I hated the English Ivy.
Finally ripped it out in spring 2013, hired neighbors to help. What a job. It was also infested with Bindweed (they call it Morning Glory here).

I wanted a garden that would do ok with minimal watering and care. The spot is quite dry all summer, but it really does rain for 8 months here. Soil clay and rocks, but sloped so water does not stand there. Mostly shady of course, but the tree was 'limbed up' a bit so cars and trucks could get under it. About 250 sq ft. I did not want anything very tall, so as not to hide the house. I did not care much if it looked good in the dead of winter, as it is so dark here anyway, and winter is very short.

I spent the winter reading, trying to figure out what would survive in dry shade but soaked all winter. Color scheme of yellow, violet-blue, with orange accents, which looks good against my house. Main season of interest to be spring, with a bit of color in summer too.

After ripping out the ivy, I bought a truckload of "planting mix" from a local company, and spread it 6" deep over the whole thing. It was easy to plant in, and the tree has been fine (I worried I could smother the roots). Since initial prep there have been very few ivy sprouts or Bindweed, and these are easily pulled out. I patrol about once a month for resprouting. It takes 3 minutes.

#1 looking north to neighbors house
#2 looking east
#3 looking south to my house
#4 looking west up hill
#5 truckload of 'soil' half for here, half for another new garden.