Photo by Melody

Specialty Gardening: Bare Dirt to Cottage Garden (in Pictures), 1 by Wifeygirl

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Wifeygirl

In reply to: Bare Dirt to Cottage Garden (in Pictures)

Forum: Specialty Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Bare Dirt to Cottage Garden (in Pictures)
Wifeygirl wrote:
Psych, you've gotta find the materials from your class! I want to take it! =)

Kiseta, too many flowers?? In what strange universe?! Can you have too much glorious splendor? =)

Psych, you are so right, this money obstacle has brought out my creativity. My last house, I spent $1000 buying plants and materials and never talked to a single person about it. This time, the whole neighborhood is engaging with me in the process! I've totally gotten to know gardening neighbors as a result. My kids know "Miss Evelyn's Garden" and "Miss Virginia's Garden" in our town and tons of others because we drive by their houses to check on their progress, and if they are out in them we stop to chat. Inevitably, they send me home with stuff! (I love gardeners!) Ladies from my church ladies' tea bring me plants and garden artwork (the bird in the birdfeeder was a present from them), and other Facebook friends stop by to trade stuff. I've learned that I have gardening in common with friends and it gives us a new connection. And I do have fun telling people it all cost $30! =)

All of this has also had the unexpected result of giving sentimental value to most of the plants in my garden - I look around and I see the Hollyhocks from my mother-in-law, the wheelbarrow from my father-in-law, the Johnny Jumpups from my neighbor down the street, and that gorgeous Morning Glory, which appeared unexpectedly from among a donated clump of flowers from Virginia's garden. =)

This message was edited Aug 3, 2014 7:42 AM