Communities > Forums

Image Copyright KimsKreations1

In reply to: The Obsession Has Begun

Forum: African Violets and Gesneriads

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of The Obsession Has Begun
KimsKreations1 wrote:
Good Morning Friends,

I can barely contain myself this morning for many reasons!

First, I did 4 crosses on 7/29 and this morning I checked on them and sure enough, all 4 have nice pods forming! Woo Hoo! My head starts racing with hopes of something amazing coming out of these crosses. Of course we all know that almost all of them will be duds or look alikes; but there is always that hope of a one in a million. I think it is that hope that really encourages me. I never thought so many of the crosses that I am doing would take. I think I should have been a bee *lol* I have ALWAYS struggled with growing seed though. I do OK as long as there is a tuber, cutting, leaf or plant to work with but when it comes to seeds; I have always struggled. This is why I am SO grateful Nichole that you are willing to help a sister out this fall/winter! I smile when I think about when you first arrived here and how wonderful it felt to send you all those baby AV's. I remember sitting on my floor in my bedroom next to the plant stand and making your box. It brought me such great joy. Hopefully by this fall/winter I will have much more to share with you other than seeds too. I sent you a D-mail but you never replied :)

Another reason I'm pumped today is because I approached my new husband; my Noah; the answer to my prayers (awwww) about possibly putting the lights together for my 4th and final shelf on my light stand tonight and he said yes! OMG.....new real estate to work with! Woot!

This was after I approached him about spending $200.00 on tubers and again the answer was yes. I am just SO excited! It's like Christmas. I ordered 11 new SRG hybrids that I am totally on the roof about! The gene pool that could be in those hybrids makes my head spin. *lol*

I am a little perplexed though because I received 2 tubers both supposed to be HCY's Taurus from Rob's earlier this spring (free plants with my orders) and they are both blooming together. I have attached pictures of both of them. Obviously 1 of them is mislabled and that kinda bums me out because I hate to put the wrong name to one of them if I plan to use it for hybridizing it's important to know the REAL name. So I am going to have to really research and figure out what it is I really have. According to my spreadsheet I should only have HCY's Taurus and HCY's Aquarius. But there is also HCY's Aries out there and could one of them possibly be that? I don't know. But I do know that these 2 Taurus's look nothing alike. Any thoughts on this?

Off to do more dobbing :)

This message was edited Aug 2, 2014 8:33 AM