Perennials: The garden tour, 1 by rteets

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright rteets

Subject: The garden tour

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of The garden tour
rteets wrote:
I finally decided I'd try to get a spot on the local garden tour for next year. I've been thinking about it for a while but never thought I could do it. They will be evaluating gardens next week (for next June 27th). There's nothing like this to cause you to see your garden in a new light! I regularly get rid of things that don't work here and I didn't realize how many holes that practice had left! Also I had always gardened so that there was something pretty all the time but I had never planned to have it look great on a particular day. Especially the end of June. I'm starting to wonder if I'll have anything blooming at that time. All the spring stuff is done, or nearly so, and so far the summer flowers haven't really started.
Right now I have liatris, achillea, butterfly weed and hydrangea"Endless Summer" on the edge of blooming. If they make it I will be very happy. Those, plus the things I have in bloom that I think will still be okay, should do it.

Very interesting to garden this way. I realize how short a year is when it comes to a garden. I think you need two or three years to really change a garden. No matter if I get on the tour or not it's been a great learning experience