Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads For May 2014, 1 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: Bromeliads For May 2014

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads For May 2014
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone – I typed a post yesterday but because I was in a hurry I typed it direct in DG and of course you can guess what happened; yes DG ate it.

Not a lot of time today as my daughter's father in law had a stroke yesterday and lots of family things to do today to help sorting things out. He got to hospital fast as it's just one street away so the prognosis is good.

Teresa – I remembered I hadn't apologised to you for misspelling your name all this time, this is probably due to the fact that my niece is also Theresa (with the “h” in her case) and I just spelt it that way automatically.

Shirley – Great colours in your pic's once again and I especially like the NOID in pic 3.

Regarding the variegated seedlings, I have no secret, it was all sheer “arse” as I just seemed to have accidentally developed a “transmitter” with that variegated 'Painted Lady' (Sport). A transmitter is the plant you require to develop variegated plants and from what I understand usually it is a variegated plant with multiple variegated markings NOT ALBO MARGINATED.

Bob Larnack used a variegated Neo. Meyendorffii in his famous 'Aussie Dream' series and Chester Skotak is currently using a special clone of Neo. (carolinae variegated x Hannibal Lector) to produce his latest variegated Neo's (Already 40 registered from this particular parent). To sum up, these breeders have spent years working out how to make variegated hybrids and I just accidentally stumbled upon it first go. They say that “arse” beats “class, don't they.

I'll catch up with the rest of the posts when I have more time.

These pic's are some of the other hybrids from the cross that produced the variegated plants and you'll notice some have faint variegations in the background also.

All the best, Nev.

This message was edited Jun 18, 2014 6:18 PM