Shade Gardening: Moss?, 1 by back40bean

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright back40bean

In reply to: Moss?

Forum: Shade Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Moss?
back40bean wrote:
I think the moss phlox will need too much sun for your shady yard, shortleaf. Sorry for the misdirect. There are shade tolerant, even shade loving phloxes, but not making as lush a carpet as the moss phlox. Here are some pics of shady areas. The first shows moss that volunteered and which I have cultivated and watered. The second pic is a view just beyond the first pic and shows golden creeping jenny and blue star creeper. The creeping jenny is aggressive and, as the moss spreads, I pull the creeping jenny away. The blue star creeper is less aggressive for me than the creeping jenny and I like it, although I will be happy if the whole area is moss.
'
Moss takes some tending. I pull weeds and I water, but I really love it. The fourth pic is a sunnier spot but the moss volunteered and I cultivated it. You may also see some creeping thyme in the lower left part of the pic. Thyme works well for me but might need more sun than you have.

The fourth pic is just moss growing between flagstones. I rescued moss from a nearby property that was about to be developed and planted it there. I hope this helps.