Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: State Arboretum of Virginia - Blandy Experimental Farm, 1 by ViburnumValley

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ViburnumValley

In reply to: State Arboretum of Virginia - Blandy Experimental Farm

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of State Arboretum of Virginia - Blandy Experimental Farm
ViburnumValley wrote:
Following closely is the inimitable and unforgettable Needle Fir (Abies holophylla) which is so aptly named. While most firs are quite user-friendly with soft-to-the-touch and pleasantly aromatic foliage, the needles on the Needle Fir are relatively sharp and not so kind for handling. Consider that when you are composing a barrier planting to deter inappropriate access.

I know that I have seen this plant over the years at various arboreta and plant collections, but it obviously did not impress me enough to capture its image in my records (at least since the digital age). Above and on another thread on this forum, I discussed the mistaken identity of some recently acquired conifers which were supposed to be Caucasian Fir (Abies nordmanniana). When first handling the plants upon delivery, I immediately noticed the sharpness of the needles and knew that something was wrong. Subsequent investigation led to the determination that those plants were actually Abies holophylla.

Fortunately, Needle Fir is an equally excellent example of this genus and the planting will be no less for its addition. If this specimen is any kind of representation of the species' potential, then I am going to enjoy watching them grow up.