Carolina Gardening: Ground Cover Ideas?, 1 by Entlie

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Entlie

Subject: Ground Cover Ideas?

Forum: Carolina Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Ground Cover Ideas?
Entlie wrote:
We are working on a driveway landscaping project. The Captain is really on board for this - his design and priority is that he be able to drive his truck completely around the house and onto the driveway (where the stones are) to tow our fleet of backyard boats out which are stored in the back yard. There will be a tree at each end with some adjacent plantings, and ground cover between the stepping stones.

We want a low growing ground cover to fill in around the stones (driveable overable). I have a good supply of the lime green sedum on hand which would transplant easily and probably fit the bill, but am open to other ideas, like something that doesn't winter kill. Creeping thyme sounds really good, but the thyme in my herb bed always dies way back in winter (Zone 8A) Sometimes it comes back and sometimes not. Do you know of any hardy creeping thyme or something else evergreen? Needs to be pretty low growing. I have dwarf mondo grass also, but that's already along the sidewalk leading to the house.

This is an exciting project - we thought it would take weeks but it's coming along quickly. (Oh, I almost forgot to mention, we have two large red pots to put in the landscaping around the trees. I am not sure how this is going to work but I'm not going to deter a husband who is interested in a garden project!)

Entlie