Image Copyright Sequoiadendron4

Subject: PLANT ADDICT'S CHAT #1

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of PLANT ADDICT'S CHAT #1
Sequoiadendron4 wrote:
We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1354980/

So I changed the name of this thread to make it more fitting (to me at least LOL)

I was bummed last week that my xeric plant order fell through. I was going to get all these cool plants from a nursery in Montana but after several recent calls and voice mails, the owner still hasn't called me back. The plant I'm most bummed out about not getting is pictured below. It's called Castilleja Miniata. It's actually a parasitic plant although it doesn't kill it's host. So since I refuse to be without plants for this garden (and it's my profession, purchasing manager) I started doing more searching. I found another nursery I could get this plant from, also from Montana, and talked with them this week. They usually don't ship their plants but she said for just one, she could make an exception so she'll call me back next week when she gets in from Utah. As for the other plants, I found suitable substitutes from High Country Gardens and I should have those plants Friday this week and I'll install them in my xeric garden this weekend. I'm so excited to finally have this project looking to be done. Some of you may know that I've been blessed with this little micro climate. I used to think it was a curse until I embraced it recently as a blessing. This area gets very little rain and is a hot, full sun area. It used to have hollies that never did well so I ripped them out last year and came up with the idea for a xeric garden this spring. I made those two stone dry washes and built up the corners by the steps to resemble a waterfall of rock then, after the plants are in, I'm going to mulch the area with pine bark nuggets. I'm going to hand water the plants occasionally but if I forget it's no worries because in the wild most require only 10 inches of water annually.

Also, since I'm an addict, I've recently purchased a few more plants from Bluestone and Lazy S&S...LOL