Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #18, 1 by Sansai87

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Sansai87

In reply to: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #18

Forum: Accessible Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #18
Sansai87 wrote:
Super article yesterday, Carrie. I’m opposed to GMOs for political reasons since reading “The World According to Monsanto”, but I still enjoyed the article. Golden rice wasn’t living up to its promise last I read. I hadn’t heard about GR2. Do you think there is a real possibility the people it was designed to help will accept it? China, most African countries and the majority of EU members are opposed to GMO's in general. Of the African countries that accept GMO food as aid, most require it to be milled to make it impossible to plant. That doesn’t sound promising for golden rice.
All the plants in the garden look a little ragged, pounded by the rain and wind. Papa Jim’s funky foliage plants are earning their keep. They look good. I’m looking at thorn less blackberries for the gardens so V.I.P.s and mobility challenged people can have the fun of picking blackberries. We tried the wild variety of dewberries draped over a retaining wall so Jim could pick them from his w/c, but they were too aggressive. Technically, it was southern dewberries I picked for the cobbler. They are like a vining version of blackberries that ripen with slightly larger fruit earlier in the season. The blackberries that grow on bushes will come later. I’m not much on canning and jam making, but I would like to get enough to put some in the freezer.
The daylilies are finally blooming in earnest.–Nadi-