Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ERNIECOPP

In reply to: Best Way to Transplant a Himrod Grapevine

Forum: Fruits and Nuts

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Best Way to Transplant a Himrod Grapevine
ERNIECOPP wrote:
Pete,

We had an unusually dry warm winter here. I stuck a hardwood cutting along the fence last Spring and it grew up about 8 feet tall and i trained two branches, one about four feet and one about six feet. The new growth is loaded with grape buds. I certainly did not expect such quick performance as the other varieties here do not bear fruit so young.

On the pruning and shaping, and thiss is just my personal preference, is i let it grow the first year, training it to the basic shape i want, and then cut back to that framework. I leave two buds where i prune for next year;s growth, and cut completely back where i do not want a new branch. You will still get some adventitious buds break out. so either leave or remove as you choose. Grapes will be produced on NEW growth From last years wood. Sometimes that varies but that seems to be the most common growth pattern.

I had far too much growth last year, so i am trying something new this year. I prune the new vines above the first leaf above where the little grape clusters are foming, trying to direct more energy into those grapes.

I will try to attach a picture of the one on the Fence.

Ernie