Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #18, 5 by Amargia

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Amargia

In reply to: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #18

Forum: Accessible Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners #18
Amargia wrote:
Thanks, Kb! Salinazation caused by high water is a big problem on the Gulf Coast, but Amargia is too far inland to be directly affected. In one respect, the west coast's water and salinazation problems are of equal concern to me because of how much food producing land is at risk there. I believe we could survive without the fresh winter food from CA and Mexico, but it isn't something I ever want to know for sure.
I'm looking forward to a field full of vetiver grass!
Turtles, we have hi-rise and low-rise garden beds made from naturally rot resistant, untreated lumber. The affordable choice here is cedar, It might be redwood in your region. The bed frames will hold together about 8-10 years in our humid climate. The new pressure treated lumber is said by experts to be safe for garden beds and there is a lumber treated with boric acid, if you can locate an affordable source. The new plastic composite woods are a good option also. I stick with untreated lumber for edible plants because so many of the people eating from Amargia's garden have existing health issues. (Most doctors think my blindness resulted from my mother's exposure to farm chemicals so I may be a little hyper-vigilant.) There are some edible raised bed materials virtually everyone considers bad choices. Railroad cross ties and old telephone poles because of the creosote and marine grade lumber because it is still treated with arsenic.
My favorite choice for building a raised bed for edibles is concrete blocks. I like being able to sit on the blocks while I tend the bed. If I'm only going up one blocks width, I don't always bother with mortar. Be aware though, if you are sitting on unmortared blocks and they shift, your backside can get pinched. We have a menagerie of old tires re-purposed as planters for ornamental beds. Some are enormous at about 6' across while others are small enough to fit a hanging basket frame. They are painted in wild colors, finished to resemble stone or terra cotta and a few are left unpainted and made to resemble old, black iron kettles. We are always coming up with new ways to use old tires in unique ways. They are free for the taking and we get to feel environmentally responsible for having fun with them. Can't beat that! To make good looking tire planters you really need a jigsaw and a person experienced in using said saw, however.
I've seen some gorgeous raised beds made with man-made stone and bricks, but I have no personal experience with those. I created one natural stone bed and will never do a second one. Whew! That was WORK!
Photo #1: There are pots available from the nursery large enough to qualify as raised beds. The pottery types are out of my price range, but there are some more affordable ones in giant sizes made of resin. Check out the 'Bird Song' kale in the center of this plant combo. Love that plant!!!
Photo #2: The concrete edging cracked on the refrigerator bed when I moved it and I haven't got around to repairing it, but here is an old picture when it was in the w/c accessible garden. I have it planted with carrots and radishes in its current location. It still functions fine. It just doesn't look its best.
Photo #3: I emptied the spa tub planter of normal garden soil so Nadi could turn it into a bog garden and outdoor habitat for her baby frog friends. (We even re-purpose re-purposed items around here. :-) Guess what Nadine was doing today? :-) I'm sure she will post a pic of the tub in its new incarnation, but here it is in its old role as Jim's raised bed.
Photo #4: Aloe vera in tiered t ire planter. This one is small so I can move it inside for the winter. Aloe vera is only hardy to about 42 degrees. I'm working on one that starts with a 6' tire at the base.
A just-for-fun pic. 'Dolly Parton' is my favorite rose of the moment. The fragrance is more like a blended rose-based perfume than a classic rose fragrance. This rose manages to be dramatic and elegant simultaneously. My only issue is it's a hybrid tea. How well it will hold up to the rigors of high summer remains to be seen . mk*

This message was edited Apr 10, 2014 8:15 PM