Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Clematis: I can't stand it!, 1 by pirl

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright pirl

In reply to: I can't stand it!

Forum: Clematis

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of I can't stand it!
pirl wrote:
We both do the "half baked" pruning! Now I do have more clematises in the Niobe area so once I get to that garden I'll remove any growth that doesn't show any budding for leaves. You might want to add amendments like manure (dried is good), Epsom salt, and top it off with compost and a nice drink of water.

Maybe you could cut it in half as opposed to rigging up support or you could use that nearly invisible mesh...http://www.americannettings.com/product/trellis-netting/ You'd still face getting up into the cherry tree to secure it to the tree.

I have the question mark, too! The Henryi decided to leap onto the Hickory tree (planted by the squirrels) and it did become an interesting look even if I'm the only one to notice it. You can see how fast the clematis took the tallest limbs of the Hickory downward to form the question mark.

Maybe it was a practice nest or maybe they're just new at the art.

I do have dog hair saved (after his bath) for the birds but we've had very strong winds and I can visualize it being anywhere but the intended nests.

I'm sure the plant is more overlooked than unpopular. Perhaps you local County Extension office could be of more help than DG has been for you.