Photo by Melody

Peonies: My peonies are breaking dormancy!, 1 by Pfg

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Pfg

In reply to: My peonies are breaking dormancy!

Forum: Peonies

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of My peonies are breaking dormancy!
Pfg wrote:
OK, here we go. Pic 1: Very old property, very overgrown when I got there. Built on a hill, fieldstone walls creating four levels, sleepy creek at the bottom which becomes a meadow in the summer. My 8th season is about to commence.

2: There were many wonderful plants still there. Hostas, Daylilies, Siberian Iris among others, and some gorgeous old peonies here and there. One line goes halfway down the edge of the top lawn.

3: I'm continuing the line of peonies on the other side of the box shrub, as far as the big barrel at the end. This section is backed by Siberian Iris, and Hesperis Matronalis (Dame's Rocket) and Foxgloves pop up on their own. I've added Lupines, Salvias May Night and Caradonna, lots of TBI's. Under plantings are a dark-leaved Ajuga, ditto Heuchera. Later there are Daylilies, a stand of red Monarda rescued from the fringes where it had naturalized, Liatris, Asters, Japanese Anemones, and the self-perpetuating Nicotianas and Verbena Bonariensis. I'm still working on it, maybe this year if everything looks good I'll be able to bring in more small accents- geraniums (love'm), small bulbs, etc.

4: The long view when the Daylilies take over. There are clumps between the Peonies on the top ledge, as well as down the center island. From the 1930's until 1970, a gardener lived here who hybridized them.

5: In the bed below the new peonies are Saponaria, front and center- rampant but worth it- and Phlox (old and new), Stachys Byzantine and Hummelo, various Echinacea, Veronicas, Platycodons (Donna, I'm still working on your white and pink combo), Geraniums, Agastache, Penstemons, a few roses and lots of other stuff... A work in progress, lol.

Thanks for asking!