Photo by Melody

Peonies: My peonies are breaking dormancy!, 1 by badcat

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright badcat

In reply to: My peonies are breaking dormancy!

Forum: Peonies

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of My peonies are breaking dormancy!
badcat wrote:
Donna, TY for starting this thread!

I have to share this with people, my DH doesnt care if my plants come up or not, but I DO! haha

Last July I went home to MI for a visit and my Aunt Charlotte told me to take some of my Great Aunt Adrians Peonies home with me. Shes been gone for over 20 years but some of the best childhood memories I had were out at their farm. I gladly took them and brought them home last summer. Planted with care. They soon started to flop over and turn Brown and crispy. I kept watering them hoping to bring them back. Iv been so afraid to call charlotte and tell her I killed them. I think I was more upset to lose a piece of my childhood than to tell her. I got over the loss over winter and got some Karl Rosenfelds to plant in their place. For Giggles I went out yesterday to check the spots where I had planted. I was overwhelmed to see the little shoots coming up!!!! I DIDNT KILL THEM!!!!! :D Let me say, Iv never been happier to see a plant come up, EVER!!! I dont know the type or anything, they have more sentimental value to me, more than anything. JUST SO HAPPY TO SEE THEM ALIVE!!! I am thrilled!!!