Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR MARCH ....2014, 1 by perke_patch

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright perke_patch

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR MARCH ....2014

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR MARCH ....2014
perke_patch wrote:
Hi all.
Ian we put a neo maya into the garden next door when we created it and it is stunning in full sun. the colours are spectacular and no sign of burning.

Nev I love all your different nudicaulis. there's some really nice and different ones there. Same with the orlandianas. I have a couple batches of seedling of orlandiana growing nicely now. I collected seed from snowflake and rainbow but I've seen a batch of snowflake seedlings grown by someone else and the colours were from white through to black so I should get some lovely plants (or I hope to).

Nev I didn't see a log in your pond for the frogs to climb out so just a tip they can't jump in water and need a ramp. Our frog pond has stripey marsh frogs. they look a bit like a toad but much smaller and they click not croak. sometimes it sounds like a room full of kids clapping their hand one after another. we do have some small green ones also that make like a kissing sound. not sure of the name but we call them sweetheart frogs. Nev there is a database on frogs. If I can get the big computer to work I'll send you the link. or you could try a google search or frog database and see what you can get.

Nev that group pic are all billbergia seedlings. the one at the back with the red tag is a helicoides billbergia but obviously different to the others. I was trying to find the ID for mine when Jen and I did a brom crawl to Bundaberg and there in the garden at Carol Evans place was a billbergia that I thought was same as mine. Carol kindly plucked a seed pod and gave it to me to bring home and plant. The seed from this one grew so very much faster that the ones I had been growing for a long time and as you can see the one from Carol is so much bigger than the others I had growing for so much longer and they look totally different in colour and patterning. the whole lot are all coming out the same colouring, shape and size so they must be a species. when I get one flowering I'll try to get an ID.
My pics tonight are all sideways sorry. Pic 1 is the infloresence of androlepsis skinerii, Pic 2 is catopsis subulata and Pic 3 is the whole plant of andolepsis. sorry about the rotating and I apologise for the sore necks from turning left and right. Nev I think some photos I turn the camera to get a long thin pic rather than short wide one. it is good for fitting in taller plants like billbergias. this makes the uploaded pic on its side. even though I rotate them in my folders DG uploads them turned back the way they started.

I'll go and upload some new pics now and share them tomorrow night.

Wendy