Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BROMELIADS FOR MARCH ....2014, 1 by 77sunset

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 77sunset

In reply to: BROMELIADS FOR MARCH ....2014

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of BROMELIADS FOR MARCH ....2014
77sunset wrote:
Hello everyone.
I have a little time to read all the posts and admire the pics.
Hubby is sleeping still . I leave him to sleep when ever he wants as his body needs all the rest it can get to prepare for his op. We are on the waiting list but even though he knows there is a wait, it does get frustrating for him.

I had a long look at all my broms yesterday and I see pups poking through everywhere.
I moved a few out to the brom area from in the shadehouse.
I always keep any newly potted plants in the shadehouse for a while until they have settled in their pots.
I have 2 very large broms labelled as neo Beefsteak but they are very poor in color although very healthy. Probably grown in poor light.. I will post a few pics later, of them as they are now and how they look after being in the bright light.

i moved a few mini neos to a hanging basket together . I had them in a piece of large poly pipe but the birds kept picking the coconut fibre around them making the plants fall out. Now they should be okay .
I am still watching a couple of flower stems on the vrieseas but the very hot weather a few weeks ago has made the edges of the individual flowers all dry and burnt looking.
I have two vrieseas which are either Splenriet or Splendide. At the moment , although the foliage is slightly different on each, the flowers are looking the same.
I will post pics when they are out properly.

I have been wondering what to do with the brom area in winter as its hard to cover it in to stop any rain.
I think I will just hang some shadecloth in the front which is open . The rest is all shadecloth and the melaleuca tree will offer some protection from the cold. Even though all the walls are only shadecloth, they are walls of the adjoining shadehouses so offer more protection than if they were open to the cold wind.
I am hoping that the rain will not bother them too much and hopefully any really low temps will not affect them much either.
They did well last winter, even those I didnt cover so , fingers crossed for this winter.

Ian, I like the look of your androlepsis skineri.
I bought on ea while ago because it looke interesting but its only a very small plant and looks nothing like yours.
Maybe its a baby one. I'll find a pic I took when I first got it.
It looks a bit poor now because the main part has started to die off and the smaller bit is slowly growing.
I thought it was a mini type of brom when I first bought ti, but now I think its maybe a seedling one. From the FCBS, mine looks like a baby male plant.
I am a bit more careful in buying these days.

Trish, I hope you do very well with your stall. I wish there were more places around here for me to sell.
I guess a lot people associate broms with the tropics and never try them down here.
You will have lots of interest up there.

Shirley, as always your broms are looking exceptional. Its that resort you run for them...lol

Teresa, lovely pics of the show and now you can see that you can grow some of the different types of broms in your area.
Hope Sugar is being a lovely lady.

Hello to everyone else. Hubby is awake so I will dash off to get him some breakfast.
No pics today except for the small androlepsis.

I hope you saw my pics of all the broms on the end of the old thread.

Keep safe..
Jean.