Amaryllis and Hippeastrums: Some of my amaryllis did not sprout, 1 by martyR

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright martyR

Subject: Some of my amaryllis did not sprout

Forum: Amaryllis and Hippeastrums

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Some of my amaryllis did not sprout
martyR wrote:
These are very old amaryllis; I have caring for these for at least 7 years,and think I have gotten better over time. Anyway they did well outside this summer, lots of leaves, fat bulbs.. I brought them in - dried in the garage, brought in house when it got cold, but did not get them out of dormancy in the time frame I planned. After christmas, I decide I would need to get them going regardless of when they will or won't bloom, so I watered them and some took off. In fact the one that has never re-bloomed has the most and tallest leaves. However about half have no new shoots. They seem to using water. My question is what can be done? Sorry for being wordy.....

1. all the plants - under grow lights. It has seemed a great place to put them for starting. The tall one has actually been relocated to a sunny south window, it's back for this picture. I'm thrilled as this expensive bulb has never rebloomed; but never died. I been caring for it for probably 5 or more years in hopes that I would get it right. It also the only bulb in a plastic pot - though it wasn't always; I'm guessing that's somehow significant.
2. close up of 2 not sprouting
3. close up of 2 which did...
4. the bud!!!!! and some small bublets that were growing in the non-sprouting pots. I pulled them hoping that would help.