Communities > Forums

Image Copyright joanlc

Subject: "Lumpy" amaryllis bulb

Forum: Amaryllis and Hippeastrums

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of "Lumpy" amaryllis bulb
joanlc wrote:
Hi everyone,

I repotted all my amaryllis bulbs about 10 days ago, planning for February blooms. One of them, Flaming Peacock, seems to be 'lumpier' than all the others, as if it is about to decide to become a number of separate bulbs. Does this signal that the bulb is about done as a single flower-producing entity? It certainly is of a good size, about 3.75" in diameter.

The attached photo has some yellow marks near the spots where I could feel the bulb swelling oddly. Sure looks like a bunch of offsets coming on, but if so, there won't be much left of Mom. (The nature of motherhood in general, isn't it!?)

This and several other bulbs are seeing their 3rd winter in my house, having been purchased in the fall of 2011. This and two others tend to bloom twice a year, in late summer (August/early September), and again when I bring them into bloom in the house, late winter, typically January into February or early March, depending on the species. (The 'plain old' but now really enormous and majestic Walmart Sale Red sticks to once a year and appears to be going from strength to strength.)

Any observations about what I might expect from Flaming Peacock are welcome. Of course, I guess I'll find out eventually! But this odd appearance is certainly interesting. Thanks!

Joan