Pacific Northwest Gardening: Hit and Run Vent! GRR, 1 by LakeLivingRos

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright LakeLivingRos

Subject: Hit and Run Vent! GRR

Forum: Pacific Northwest Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Hit and Run Vent!  GRR
LakeLivingRos wrote:
Ok I just have to vent! (I changed my screen name, so I am formerly "poobear439"). It has been cold here in the PNW and the road along my house had ice which caused a car to lose control and drive through my neighbors fence, run over my lilac tree, wipe out our mailboxes, and destroy two planters with Arbutus unedo 'Compacta' trees in them.. along with other plants that I had such as unusual 4 foot tall sedum that was given to me that I have not seen anywhere else..

I of course had the police come out (as it was a hit and run) and he asked if I even wanted to make a police report! Um.. yes. So I call the insurance people and go through the damage, and was telling the lady how all my plants were destroyed.. I was pretty upset about my plants and I just knew that no one else was understanding! It's not like I am crying like a child was hit, but I mean, I do really care about plants and put a lot of energy into caring for them properly.. I don't use pesticides and remove weeds mechanically ie. When the insurance lady was asking me what "real damages" occurred, I was thinking, how does someone place value on a plant that was a gift given to you.. or a 10 year old lilac tree you transplanted.. etc.

I mean, you can't even tell plants existed where the car drove over now!! And, what a d-bag to drive away not leaving a note.. even saying "sorry I don't have insurance one day I will repay you". Or something..

Anyways, I am trying to laugh it off on how ridiculous it is that this actually happens.. but I am a little frustrated because when I have talked about it I feel like people just sort of look at me like, "What is the big deal it's just a plant". I just think that there is something about putting time and effort into nurturing something, and when someone literally drives all over it, it is rude!

Just wondering if anyone else has ever gotten the "what's the big deal" when it comes to "plant drama"?