Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ViburnumValley

In reply to: Berry-producing shrubs

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Berry-producing shrubs
ViburnumValley wrote:
I apparently misunderstood a question above. Mipii asked:
Quoting:What was the event called where everyone spread out their wares for inquiring minds?

I sarcastically/mischievously replied:
Quoting:Mipii: I think that's called a brothel...

I apologize for leaping to the smart aleck answer - well, at least partially.

I think I now understand that you were asking about all the pictures I posted of tables full of holly. Those are examples of the Holly Society of America tradition called the Sprig Contest, from several recent years of the Annual Meeting. Attendees are encouraged to submit sprigs - cut branches - of hollies that they grow. It is quite the to-do, replete with rules and occasional dust-ups. It is an honor to be selected to be a judge. See here for the full lowdown:

http://www.hollysocam.org/PDF/annualmeeting/HollySprigContes...

As to sallyg and insanity...those "body builder" branches show the lengths to which the species can be profligate. And if you think THAT'S extreme, I could provide examples of the evergreen species.

The meetings definitely include libations and bread-breaking - it is on EVERY official agenda by which to set your clock. Cutting exchanges, a silent auction, tours of holly collections, gardens, a full-bore plant auction, etc. - as well as a handful of presentations and lectures - all combine to make the HSA Annual Meeting quite the occasion. We are heading toward the 67th Annual Meeting at Rutgers for three days in October 2014. Come one, come all.

We even find time have a little fun...