Photo by Melody

Rural Gardening: winter is here on the Homestead..., 1 by CajuninKy

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright CajuninKy

In reply to: winter is here on the Homestead...

Forum: Rural Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of winter is here on the Homestead...
CajuninKy wrote:
Thanks for the new thread.

I am praying for all you who are in the ice and snow. My sister is iced in in Dallas. We are not bad here yet. Temps in the low 40s but it is raining buckets. We are under a flood watch. No chance of flooding in my house but water is coming off the hill beside the house and running like a creek through my unfinished basement. I will lose more stuff to mold and mildew. I might as well just throw it all on the trash pile and get it over with. sigh They are calling for a break in the rain tomorrow then it will start again and the temps will drop turning the rain to sleet and snow. I would rather deal with the rain and higher temps.

Went to town today to fill the van with gas before bad weather. Had to get a handful of groceries and a few supplies. Ate while we were in town. Fed the horses and visited with friends at the country store. DH has not been getting out much and he is getting a bit depressed with the weather and not being with family for the holidays. It was good to see some folks. By the time we got home it was dark and raining pretty good. Got him in the house, put on my work clothes and set about feeding the animals here at the house. Usually takes me about 15 minutes in good weather so I figured 30 minutes tops with the rain. Got the dogs fed and the shed cat. Took the rooster feed and pony feed and hay around the house. I sat the rooster feed on the porch and went to feed the pony first. I had an unpleasant surprise when I got into his barn. The water was getting inside. So I put his hay and fed out and went to get the shovel and another light. I ended up working in the rain for an hour making temporary drainage ditches to route the runoff around the barn. I have to dig a couple permanent ones tomorrow when I can see and the rain breaks. Last thing my muscles need after the way I have pushed myself the last few days. I am having spasms like crazy but it can't be helped. The work has to be done and there is nobody to do it but me.

I got the Christmas tree put up and decorated yesterday. It looks nice and it has lifted my spirits a bit. I enjoy going through the ornaments. They all have a story and it is nice to think about the memories they bring up.

My work tomorrow also includes trying to get one of these three kerosene heaters to work. I worry about the power going out and us being cold. I don't like being cold. It hurts my muscles.

Please say a prayer for my first cousin's daughter. She has taken her 3 year old son, Will, to Baylor university hospital. He was diagnosed with muscular dystrophy and they are trying to get a handle on it and see what they can do to make his future as bright as possible in spite of the disorder.