Photo by Melody

Hybridizers: Have any of you made $ from your hybrids?, 1 by

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright

In reply to: Have any of you made $ from your hybrids?

Forum: Hybridizers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Have any of you made $ from your hybrids?
wrote:
keithp2012,
You didn't mention what kind of plants you are referring to but I sell hybrid iris and daylilies on Ebay and have been doing that since 2011 when I figured out I could not raise them all due to shrinking garden space.

Since beginning of November, I sell my own hand pollinating iris and daylily seeds on Ebay. Again, I can't grow them all either.

I keep track of the parents and have the photos when they bloom. I sold a lot of my bloomed seedlings this past summer. Buyers like the idea that they are the only ones that have a particular iris plant and can name it. I have one customer who purchased one for each of her relatives and named them in their honor. She wants a red seedling next year. I sold out this year. When I sell a seedling, they will get all there is of that particular cross. So it is a good bargain.

During the summer months, starting in April, I sell colorful Sempervivums (hen and chicks) then iris plants, followed by daylily plants after blooming season. I have been sellling plants since 2004.

Below are iris seedlings blooming at 14 months. Many sold. I kept some to use as parents in my hybridization program.