Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: A bit of fall color, 1 by shortleaf

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright shortleaf

In reply to: A bit of fall color

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of A bit of fall color
shortleaf wrote:
Thanks Mipii, it was a neat house. I cleaned out HUD foreclosed houses in 2008, (a big year for foreclosures). Anyway, several of them were just incredible inside, including the Craftsman style ones.

Great job on those round bushes, Mipii. Several years ago I was over at my grandparents' trimming the bushes in their front yard. My grandfather was sitting in this metal chair on the porch talking about, "now, take the chainsaw and cut in the middle for a round shape on that big bush". I knew it wasn't possible, that's something you have to do over time, you can't just take an overgrown Japanese Yew and make it look like a green ball. I didn't get nasty or anything, I just cut it back about 3 feet. That had to be done, it was about 5 feet tall. When I did that it took all the foliage off, it just looked like bare branches sticking up, it looked terrible. Today though, it's back up to around 4 feet tall.

Muddy, a persimmon would be a manageable height for a few years but they get pretty tall over time. The state champion one in Va. is 120' tall, the state champion in Missouri is 124' tall. -
http://www.persimmonpudding.com/nathist/bigpersimmons.html
The Nat'l champion one is in Arkansas but the ones in Va. an Mo. are much taller.
Here is the one here, it has grown considerably in 7 and a half + years. -
So has the clutter..lol
Will