Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - November 2013, 1 by ianperry

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright ianperry

In reply to: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - November 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - November 2013
ianperry wrote:
Hi all,Just another day here and I went for a look see around my broms and fertilised my seedlings. It looks like it might rain so I am tempting it with the fertiliser, foliar as usual. While I was checking my plants I saw an orange flower spike rising out of what was supposed to be a cross between Bilbergia Rosea and Quesnelia Tim Plowman. It is obviously an Aechmea and how the seed germinated in the tray of seedlings is a mystery. Because of this origin I have called it Ae Yarn NR (not Registered) In pic 5 it is showing the second generation, 2 nice little pups, both spoken for at this time. I bought this seedling some time ago and often see the seller.I don't know if I am allowed to name a plant like this but have put it up on FB anyway.
Pic 1 shows a little bit of colouring up of Bil Pink Champagne seedling. This is the seed parent and nature did the fertilisation. Whether it is a self or from something else I have no idea.\
Pic 2 Is a similar set up using Neo Bold Streak X macwilliamsii as seed parent and it is just starting to colour.
Pic 3 Is a good example of what not to do to a beautiful Neo Barbarian. It has almost dehydrated and been in too much sun