Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - November 2013, 1 by 77sunset

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright 77sunset

In reply to: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - November 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - November 2013
77sunset wrote:
Hello everyone.
Its cloudy here this morning with a little misty rain. Talk about a contrast to yesterdays warm sunshine.
It may improve later.
I am happy because I managed to get all the weeds with the Roundup.
Now I can watch as they die, then see all the green places I missed...lol

My greenhouse cover is finished except for me now putting some retic hose along the top inside with sprays. This will be better for watering during the hot weather as I can turn them on for a little mist on very hot days.
I have the same thing in the fern house and the plants really appreciate it.
Saves dragging a hose around too.
I use my trusty watering can for any winter watering and a small sprayer for fertlising.

Breeindy, your neo Break of Day is lovely. I must chase up mine and see how its going.

Trish, enjoy your visitors.
I cant imagine your garden ever looking untidy. You put so much work into it.
If I ever win Lotto, I am going to come and visit everyones beautiful gardens.
I love the pale pinkish brom in your first of yesterdays pics. I am sure it is one I admired before.
What is the lovely dark one in the 3rd pic. The contrast with the others is so lovely.
I am not knowledgeable enough to be able to know which brom is which as yet. I doubt I ever will be.

Shirley, your pics are so beautiful and I sit here perusing them closely. What are the two pinks on the bottom left of your yesterdays pic 3 ?
Also what are the 3 lovelies at the back of pic 4 , especially the orange toned one ?
I like the contrast of the white gravel under your brom pots.

I have a question regarding my now finished long greenhouse . The clear plastic tarps dont come all the way to the ground which leaves a nice gap of about 10" around the back half where the old plastic cover had completely disintegrated from the embedded mesh.
The front half still has the old plastic/mesh cover so no air movement in there, but the end door is open.
Will the air movement from the open door and the gaps in the back half be enough for the broms.?.
They have survived in the closed greenhouse for a few years now , so I am hoping they will be okay. . I will have those sprays up inside the roof for the summer.

The sun is coming out again here, so I am off to fertilise the rest of the broms before the rain decides to return.
Hello to Ian, Sue and anyone else.

Like Nev, I have to add a couple of old pics . I must get new ones.

pic 1... this bill has very large bright buds , a noid from a local market

pic 2.. a noid neo also from the market

pic 3 ...another noid which just had the name regulioides stuck in it at the same market

Enjoy your gardens and take care.

Jean.