Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - November 2013, 5 by splinter1804

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright splinter1804

In reply to: Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - November 2013

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Bromeliads for Novices and Addicts - November 2013
splinter1804 wrote:
Hi everyone - Looks like a nice day today so a good day for watering, not too hot and not too cold. We had a very constructive meeting yesterday and planned for 2014 wich hopefully will be the biggest year for us yet.

I'll start off with the end of October's post by saying good day to Breeindy, it's good to see you still drop in and haven't forgotten us. They're three great pic's you've posted on the Nov. thread; I like your Neo.'Gladiator', it's very similar to one I have called 'Small World', it's just a small plant about the size of 'Break of Day'; small but nice. That's a great looking NOID in your first pic also, please keep me in mind when you have pups from it you want to swap.

Jean - You say about weeds, I doesn't seem to matter what you do they always find a way of growing. Someone once defined a weed as "any plant which is growing where it's not supposed to grow" (or words to that effect). Basically what's a weed to some is a sought after plant for others. As an example, I have a friend in America who says they pay for plants of Oxalis over there, yet here they are a curse.

Your little Ae. Nudicaulis could be 'Mary Hyde' or it could just be one of many variegated plants of Ae. Nudicaulis. I have three different ones from a quite small one up to one which is about 18" high and all just came with the name Ae. nudicaulis variegata. There are literally dozens of different Ae nudicaulis clones around; my largest one (about 30") came with the name Ae. nudicaulis 'Giant' but there is no registration for this.

Shirley - Thanks for starting a new thread for us, it won't take us so long to scroll through the posts now (for a while anyway). That Vr.'Jungle Carpet' is a nice plant to start the new thread with, great colour.

From the time I sowed my Vr. hieroglyphica seed to flowering was 13 years. This seems a lot and is a lot longer than the experts would take to grow them to flowering size but let me add it was only the first or second batch of brom seed I had ever sown and I was still "feeling my way". Also the plant I have was the "runt"of the litter as I had sold all of the others before I realised I hadn't kept one for myself. So there you have it; the worst possible case scenario and any of you growing hieroglyphica seed I'm sure could grow them much quicker than that.

I don't remember seeing Sue's instructions for starting a new web, they must have slipped under the radar. Could you please copy them and D-Mail them to me?

Nice group shots once again, great colour, and even my plants are finally starting to show a bit of colour although nothing like you folks can get up there where it's warmer.

Trish - I'm a little surprised when you say that plant we asked about is Neo. 'George's Prince' as mine is quite a bit darker in colour than yours (or has yours still got a bit of colouring up to do yet?) I have made a few crosses with mine and some are just starting to colour up now so I'll post some pic's soon.

Great colourful garden pic's once again, keep up the good work.

That's it for today and again I've been lazy and not taken any new pic's so once again we have to "re-live my past" with some old file pic's. Pic's 1 and 2 are Neo.'Amazing Grace' (Dark Form) and (Light Form), Pic.3 is Neo. 'Citation' (USA) Pic.4 I an early crossing from my 'Painted Lady' (sport) and Pic.5 is Neo. carcharodon x concentrica,

All the best, Nev.