Bulbs: George B; "MISCHT" and Cowanii, 1 by cathy166

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright cathy166

In reply to: George B; "MISCHT" and Cowanii

Forum: Bulbs

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of George B; "MISCHT" and Cowanii
cathy166 wrote:
Experience with the scilla is that it really is an early bloomer and looks best in clumps. They are generally up and blooming and gone before other plants have even sprouted. Ours don't seem to need full sun, but they are blooming before the trees above have leaves.

This past summer was my first year with those allium bulbs, planted last fall. We've grown Alliums for a long while, but none that were so short. All of the others, even the smaller ones have stalks that are at leas 18 inches high, and I was expecting blooms that were a "little more than insignificant" in the forest of summer flowers.

I can only tell you that the bulbs I ordered did not look like the photo in the online catalog. I can also tell you that with some exception you will find the best known alliums in all companies. When you get to the less known bulbs/plants, the growers/distributors become more creative with naming conventions. I have found this to be common with alliums, caladiums, coleus and begonias, and when gardeners post, asking for an ID, it is next to impossible to tell which is which. In addition, there are so many variables depending on soil, water and light conditions. It is also the case with other plants, as we often know what kind of peony we planted, but it looks like something else.

No experience with the Corydalis GEORGE BAKER, but it certainly looks vey pretty.

Wishing you good luck.
Marcia