Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: Hypertufa head planter, 1 by Queenofpuddings

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Queenofpuddings

In reply to: Hypertufa head planter

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Hypertufa head planter
Queenofpuddings wrote:
Sorry for the failure to repond for some time. I have been busy on new projects. I have attached a few pics of some of my latest pieces. I am now modelling figures in modelling clay and then using the latex and plaster method described above except that i do not use clay dividers to separate each half of the jacket. I now make one half of the jacket, allow it to dry and then slick the edges with vaseline and apply the second half of the jacket with a half inch overlap on the vaseline edge. It works like a charm and both jacket halves lock snugly together.

I finished a latex coat on a figure today and will take step by step pics of the jacket process to demonstrate the process.

I have been using hypertufa for a year or so but now prefer a cement coir peat and mortar mix for my head sculptures as the definition is excellent and and it provides some necessary weight to the planters ... they need this if the plants are top heavy and tall growing.

I have also attached a pic of my original hypertufa trough planters which got me started on the process. I also adapted the mix by the addition of waterproof mortar and pond sealer to create s water troughs which have been planted with waterlily in one case and taro and other aquatic plants in the other.

Will post jacket photos in due course