Photo by Melody

Amaryllis and Hippeastrums: blooms in spring, summer and now fall, 1 by trackinsand

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright trackinsand

In reply to: blooms in spring, summer and now fall

Forum: Amaryllis and Hippeastrums

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of blooms in spring, summer and now fall
trackinsand wrote:
wow, so much to know on just one genus. it's pretty mind boggling!

the story on 'Sunrise' is that it was the first one planted in that area. there were no other bulbs around anywhere except for some noids i dug up when we first moved here 9 years ago. i moved them to another spot and then another and then another.....i think they're finally happy in their latest spot-but they weren't close to 'Sunrise'. then i got H. papilio. it bloomed the first year and then nothing since until spring of 2013 when it suddenly decided to bloom again. it is planted very close to 'Sunrise'. the following year came 'Aphrodite' and then 'Cherry Nymph'.

i had a point but i got side-tracked. oh yes, so this whole time 'Sunrise' has produced tons of seeds faithfully every year but doesn't bloom at the same time as the others, so does that nix the pollen theory?

i planted a handful of seeds under my cedars a few years ago. the babies started to come up but that area is a squirrel "trail" so they died down...but apparently didn't expire because this year one or two are coming up and growing beautifully.

i also planted another handful two years ago in another spot. they came up and have been growing steadily. i got two blooms off one of them this early summer.

i wish i would have saved all the pictures....that just irks me. i will take pictures of 'Sunrise' this spring and i will watch for offsets.
as i can't completely remember the exact coloring of the flowers, other than that they are blinding orange, i'll have to get one great shot of a flower close up and then you can decide. i would be most happy to send you an offset...shoot, there may be one now. i guess i ought to go out and carefully examine and see what's what.

i did find one other picture after doing a search on DG but the focus wasn't on this plant. i dragged it back to my photos and here it is.