Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: SPRING AMONG OUR BROMELIADS..., 1 by springer99

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright springer99

In reply to: SPRING AMONG OUR BROMELIADS...

Forum: Australian and New Zealand Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of SPRING AMONG OUR BROMELIADS...
springer99 wrote:
Hi Everyone,
great work Jean on the new thread, well done :) By the end of the month they are always getting rather long.
Tropicbreeze I hope you are well on your way home and no more car trouble. I hope the garden is ok, it's bloody hot here too, I hate to think of what Summer is going to be like.
Shirely no worries at all about the xNeomea swap, send me a Dmail when you can with your address and I will get yours boxed up and sent off in the next week or two, I will let you know when it's gone. It's a good size so the longer is sits here the bigger it will get, so may as well get it off to you :) Love that Neo Inferno, really catches the eye before even enlarging the pics. Nicely grown.
Opps sorry Trish I must of missed your Birthday, I hope it was a lovely day and you got spoiled. It sounds like you and your mum are enjoying your time together, good on you. Mine passed away far to young this year, so believe me... enjoy every moment.
Wendy I hope all the dr results are good, always a bit of a worry the ol medical stuff.
Nev I am not much of a 'reader' but that book you suggested to Jean “Searching for Miss Fortuna – The hunt for a bromeliad?" is one I would love to read. I tried to hunt down a copy a while back and must have gotten distracted as I never got one. I will have to chase it up again as I have heard such good things about it.
Well nothing too much going on here, visting a brom collection on the weekend or someone we have only met once but heard many good things about, so it will be nice to go and see his broms. Also another grower we know locally near us is doing his very first market stall at our local markets on the weekend, so we will go and see him and hopefully he does really well. He has some lovely broms.
Well the weather is the same as it's been for weeks and weeks up here... hot hot hot. Even though we have the toppers up, most areas still get the full strength morning sun until the 11 or 12, and I have noticed some are bleaching again. they were bleaching before the toppers went up, but then settled down as they were at least getting filtered light from that 11 or 12 onwards, but that morning sun is getting hotter and hotter, I can't even stand on the ground outside barefoot, I get burnt feet! Our yard is NOT a lush green shady yard, it's open, full sun, sand base, and at the moment, dry as can be, so a lot of black sandy type areas.
Anyway... some pics..

The first one is our Aechmea Roberto Menescal looking great and the second one is two of our Aechmea chantinii X manzanaresiana's. Absolutely love these guys. Sorry some toothy ones today Nev ;)