Photo by Melody
Announcements
Voting is finished for the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You can check out the winners HERE!

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: After-Fall-Swap-2013 at Sallyg's, followup questions, 1 by coleup

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright coleup

In reply to: After-Fall-Swap-2013 at Sallyg's, followup questions

Forum: Mid-Atlantic Gardening

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of After-Fall-Swap-2013 at Sallyg's, followup questions
coleup wrote:
Just before my BST (black swallow tail) cats formed their pupas they went on a walk about to find a woody twig to climb and hang themselves from. Only one stayed on the host plant. I'd say yours have done the same. They are not on the ground and are about an inch long, dried leaf color and hard to spot even if you know exactly where they are!
Gita if your fence is wooden they may be camoflaged there. Try sticking some pencil diameter twigs close in to your remaining parsley plant and maybe those cats will choose that for pupating.
Cat, not many people grow Rue but I've read that BSTs prefer to parsley.
Mine seem to be emerging now. Don't know enough to say which or when they will overwinter and hatch out in Spring. Only about 3% complete their life cycle from egg to butterfly. A wasp got one of my Monarch cats while I was cleaning out the protective enclosure I'm using as a nursery. Sucked out its body fluid.

Below pics are of first to eclose (emerge) perfect and brand new.