Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Pine Pain, 1 by Europhyllia

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Europhyllia

Subject: Pine Pain

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Pine Pain
Europhyllia wrote:
I just planted two Loblolly Pines. We got the trees from a tree farm 2 hours from here. They were in 15 gallon pots and about 7 feet tall.
They have been in the ground for a week and I am worried about them.
I planted them with some beneficial root fungus and have been watering them daily with a tree soaker. We also had some nice rains.
The problems appeared actually even before we planted the trees (we kept them in the pots for a couple of days)
One pine has some yellow spots on the dark green needles but no brown needles and no needle loss.

The other pine has brown tips on the needles -just on the end of the branch and only on the ends of the needles. This actually worries me more than the yellow dotted pine so I am attaching a pic of the brown needle tips pine.

Overall none of the two are drooping or dropping needles, in fact after the good rains it even appears as if they are growing a tiny bit (also see pic)

What do you think is happening here? Transport stress (we wrapped them together with a sheet and they had to endure the 2 hour drive home) Transplant stress? Too much water? Too little water?

Is it a fungus? Should I do something about this? If so what?