Photo by Melody
Announcements
The ability to post new threads and comments is currently off-line. We are working to restore this feature.

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: 2013 Monarch Migration, 1 by AmandaEsq

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright AmandaEsq

In reply to: 2013 Monarch Migration

Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of 2013 Monarch Migration
AmandaEsq wrote:
Caterpillars are subject to predation by other bugs, birds, animals.

They are also threatened by several parasites and bacterial infections that we hope to reduce the risk of by maintaining them in isolation or groups and clean quarters.

If you aren't prepared to make the commitment but your local DGr can do it, I'd encourage you to try to recruit someone. I was scared the first year and made all these pleading calls all over town until someone told me to calm down, you can do it. :)

You could try to put netting over the plants where they are.

OR you could let nature take its course. It's just with the situation so dire for the Monarch this year more than ever they seem to need our help.

Monarch caterpillars most likely leave the MW plant when they are ready to pupate and have read before but can't recall now how far they are likely to travel to get to a "suitable" place. Some species roam quite a distance.

Sometimes when I wait to collect caterpillars they are reduced in numbers and I can never know if it's because they wandered off or were taken away. If they're still small and not ready to pupate, it's not likely they will leave the plant.

Milkweed has toxins that make Monarch cats and butterflies distasteful as a food source. I don't think that stops a bird or animal from trying them if they don't have prior experience with the species.

Don't take my word for it! Ask around. There are bunches of websites I could direct you to if you're interested. I don't know what else to say except let us know how it goes. :)

This image is from a sighting in my front yard today: