Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Perennials: Catching up in the garden is it possible?, 1 by Pfg

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright Pfg

Subject: Catching up in the garden is it possible?

Forum: Perennials

<<< Previous photoNext photo >>>
Photo of Catching up in the garden is it possible?
Pfg wrote:
Yikes, what a year! Between the crazy weather and my big ideas, I've been feeling behind the 8 ball for months. But finally, this weekend I accomplished something I've been trying to get done for years! My long border on the lower lawn is done! Wow!

It happened in stages, of course. A lot of the work was done over the last 2 or 3 years, after the main borders were brought under control. The last and worst stage was at the far end, the tall grasses (and everything else) gone wild. I had it partly cleared a couple of years ago, but then had no time to do any more and it went wild again. This year I was determined. In April I had a guy come help me clear the mess again, and edit the grasses into something resembling a plan. Then I couldn't get back to it again. Two weeks ago, I got the guy back to help move and divide huge Daylily clumps. Two of my favorites were nearly buried in weeds in another section. He moved them out and cleared the area.

Then this weekend, I planted everything else.

The new plan is:

Tall grasses at one end and part way along the back. Phlox, asters and perennial Sunflowers finish the tall section, all the way to the right far corner, planted in a sweeping arc.

Then in front, Daylilies in a long swath. Early, middle and mid-late bloomers are now staggered so there will be no dead spots. I hope to add more late bloomers, but that can wait for a while. Then lots of iris, tall Siberians behind and continuing the line of daylilies to the Blue Garden /arbor. In front of the daylilies, Sedum and Tall bearded iris, Asclepias Tuberosa, others to be introduced over time. There ia a narrow path to the back of the bed.

Between the PG Hydrangea and the Blue Garden, are now 3 Hydrangea Little Lime, garden mums, Sedum Rosy Glow and more TBI's. I'm thinking to use Plumbago. ceratastigmoides as a groundcover under the shrubs, using the blue to help tie everything together. Other plants in the area will get spread around more, probably in the spring when I see what comes up.

So, for the moment, I'm caught up, at least there. Now I have to go up one level, and find room for more iris, more daylilies, move a couple of ginormous peonies, move a few phlox, re-arrange some edges , etc, etc, etc... Yikes!